Monday 31 August 2015

Foiled by the Weather

We had been hoping to get three ringing sessions in over the course of this extended weekend but unfortunately we were once again foiled by the weather. The excellent session on Friday was not repeated on Saturday (29th); only about 130 birds were ringed, most notably was the capture of 10 more Grasshopper Warblers, so thats 38 in three sessions. We were also treated to a fly-by and back again from one of the passage Ospreys that had been loitering intermittently at the Haven. It initially drifted up the valley and I picked it up just as it headed towards the area known as the Frying Pan. It then turned and headed back down the river so I grabbed my camera and headed to the jetty in our ringing area. I was hoping for a close fly-by but three Carrion Crows began hassling it and it changed direction and headed back up the valley, but I was able to get a couple of shots before it headed off.

Osprey being harassed by Carrion Crow

Heavy rain on Monday (31st) gave me the opportunity to catch up on some sleep, but clearly not every one was doing the same, as a Wryneck was reported from Hook-with-Warsash LNR around mid-morning. I didn't have time to go in the morning but once I had completed my 'duties' I headed down for a look. By this time the rain had stopped so I worked my way along the beach to the scrub where the bird had been seen. There was a good selection of migrant birds present including three Northern Wheatears, two Whinchats, two Dartford Warblers and over 50 Yellow Wagtails, with the cattle. A Little Egret was feeding on the Meander Pool and two Ringed Plovers flew west.

I spotted a lone birder watching an area of gorse and enquired if this was the area where the Wryneck had been seen; it was but not for over an hour. I didn't have much time but started to scan the top of the gorse just in case it appeared, and within a few minutes picked it up. It was perched up back where it had last been seen, so I quickly moved closer to the bird to get some shots. Initially, it was obscured by the branch it was sat on, and appeared to be hiding from me, but eventually it gave some better views. The bird was in exactly the same location as one I saw here last year, this time though the views were much better.

Hiding Wryneck - Hook with Warsash
Wryneck - Hook with Warsash 
Wryneck - Hook with Warsash 
Wryneck - Hook with Warsash 
Wryneck - Hook with Warsash 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...