Tuesday 24 June 2014

White Stork - Hedge End, Hampshire - June 2014

Just as I was settling down to watch the the England v Costa Rica match news came through of a White Stork just up the road in Hedge End, Hampshire. Initially it was an unconfirmed report but by half time the news had been confirmed. The match was pretty dull, which wasn't really a surprise given that England had already been knocked out, so I grabbed my bins and camera and headed up there.

White Stork - Hedge End, Hampshire

When I arrived there was a handful of familiar Hampshire Birders present and after the usual banter I grabbed my camera for a few shots. The bird was feeding in a recently mown hay meadow at the northern edge of Hedge End. It was keeping towards the back of the field and seemed quite settled.


White Stork - Hedge End, Hampshire

This is not a particularly rare species in Hampshire, in fact according to the 2012 Hampshire Bird Report, it has been recorded every year this century except 2007, 2009 and 2011. Bizarrely I have never seen White Stork in Hampshire, nor in fact in the UK but that is more down to my apathy rather than any other reason.


White Stork - Hedge End, Hampshire

Funnily enough when I was twitching the Ross's Gull the other day, we were discussing species that are relatively common but that we had not seen, and I had to admit this one.. but not anymore.


White Stork - Hedge End, Hampshire

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...